Area around Mathikettan Shola National Park is declared as Eco Sensitive Zone
Highlights of Notification:
Centre notified 0-1 km area around the NP as Eco sensitive zone.
- Within the eco sensitive zone all activities like digging the earth for commercial reason, stone quarrying, rock crushing units and mining of both minor and major minerals will be prohibited immediately.
- Setting up of new commercial activities and expansion of existing industrial setup which can cause any type of pollution is also prohibited from now onwards.
- Although, the non-polluting industries will be given permission to set up their commercial activities. According to the Central Pollution Control Board, 2016 guidelines industries will be classified into non industrial category.
- Only small structures created for eco-tourism will be allowed otherwise no new hotel or resort set up is permitted within the protected area or near to the eco sensitive zone.
About the National Park
- Situated in Idukki District of Kerala.
- To conserve the uniqueness and its importance as an elephant corridor (also situated in Wayanad).
- The Area is of 17.5 sq km.
Other important animal sanctuaries
– Periyar Tiger Reserve; Parambikulam Tiger Reserve; Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary; Mangalvanam Bird Sanctuary.
CM- Pinarayi Vijayan
Governor- Mohammad Arif
South Western Zone railway station will have the longest railway platform in the world
Hubballi, officially known as Shree Siddharoodha Swamiji Railway station that comes under South Western Railway zone will now be having largest railway platform in the world. The platform will be of 1500 metre plus length and 10 metre wide. It will be inaugurated in March 2021.
Remodelling of yard, signal systems, tracks, electrical wirings and other related works will be done for the construction of the platform. The cost of the project is 90 crore rupees. Earlier the platform was of 450 metre length. After its inclusion in the Bengaluru-Hubballi doubling project the length was increased to 1400. The Railway Zone later decided to increase the length upto 1500 metre.
At present, 1366 metre long platform of Gorakkhpur Jn is the longest platform of railways in the world. It was declared so in the year 2013.
The 4th Global Ayurveda Festival (GAF2021) will be hosted by Kerala
World’s largest festival of Ayurveda community will be held at Kerala. The Union Minister of State for External Affairs, V Muraleedharan announced that the festival will be organised by the Centre for Innovation in Science and Social Action (CISSA), Ayurveda Medical Association in India (AMAI), Ayurveda Hospital Management Association and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce (FICCI).
The Festival will be celebrated with two themes, Focal & Delegate Assembly Theme.
Focal Theme- “Strengthening Host Defence System – Ayurveda a Potential Promise”
Delegate Assembly Theme- “Globalizing Ayurveda – Scope, Challenges & Solutions”
3rd World Braille Day is observed on 4th January 2021
To promote and create awareness regarding the Braille the United Nations (UN) worldwide celebrates Braille Day on 4th Jan every year. Braille is used as a means of communication for impaired and partially sighted people. It also promotes the realization of the human rights. Louis Braille, a French Educator, is the inventor of the Braille language which is used for reading and writing for the visually impaired.
The resolution is adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in the year 2018. Later, in the year 2019 the first Braille day was observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of Louis Braille.
Reserve Bank of India declared the Digital Payment Index, 2021
After the Demonetization exercise in the year 2018, the cashless and digital transactions have been promoted by the union government. To measure the growth in digital or cashless transactions across the country, the central bank of India (RBI) has introduced the Digital Payment Index (DPI) on the first day of the year 2021. The year 2018 is selected as the base year. Thus, the DPI score for the year 2018 is 100, in 2019 the score increased to 153 and for the year 2020 it is 207.
Reserve Bank of India-
Establishment= 1 April 1935
Governor= Shaktikanta Das
Dy Governors= Bibhu Prasad Kanungo; Mahesh Kumar Jain; Michael Debabrata Patra & M Rajeswar Rao.