Global media and film summit 2021
India will host global media and film summit in 2021.
Will also set up a special pavilion at Cannes in 2022 on the Cannes Film Festival’s 75 years celebrations.
Central Investment Clearance Cell
Centralised Investment Clearance Cell: An integral part of the single window Clearance system. The Single Window System will be roll out by Ministry of Commerce and Industry by April 2021. In Union Budget 2020-21 the idea of establishing Central Investment Clearance Cell was first announced by Finance Minister.
What: Central Investment Clearance Cell
- To ensure that an investor or businessman gets all the required clearances and under information one platform.
- To facilitate Investor by providing One-Stop Digital Platform.
- It will help to obtain all the required clearances and approvals at one place (Web portal).
- Allow potential investors to interact with all the ministries whose approvals are required at one place.
Industrial Information System
- Industrial Information System is one of the earlier initiatives by Department for the Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade.
- It is operated under Digital India initiative.
- The portal serves as a one-stop solution for all trades and investors to access industrial information.
- The information includes availability of raw materials, horticulture, minerals information, agriculture layers of terrain, natural resources and rural/Urban infrastructure.
Lithium refinery of India is to be set up in Gujarat. One of the largest power trading and renewable energy company, Manikaran Power Limited is to invest Rs 1000 crores to set up the refinery.
About the Refinery
The Gujarat Lithium refinery will import the lithium ore from Australia.
About the companies
The Manikaran (Indian Firm 3rd largest power trading company in India) and Neometals (an Australian firm) have entered into agreement to produce lithium in India.
- Lithium is a rare element and is not mined in India as there are very limited Lithium Resources.
- India targets of increasing the Electric Vehicle market share to 30% by 2030.
- India is importing majority of the lithium required to make lithium-ion batteries.
- India is currently dependent on China, Taiwan and Japan for its electrical batteries.
India and Bolivia
- Recently to diversify India’s lithium import and to decouple dependency on china and japan, India signed an agreement with Bolivia, the agreement states that Bolivia will supply Lithium Carbonate to India.
- Bolivia has one-fourth (25%) of the world lithium reserves.
- However, the country has not yet begun commercial production.
- The agreement will act as a critical facilitator for FAME Faster Adoption and Manufacture of Hybrid and Electric vehicles in India.
China- the current leader
- China currently controls 51% of global lithium and 62% of cobalt trade in World.
- Lithium and cobalt are two main components of lithium-ion batteries.
- Most of the lithium for the Chinese market comes from the South American Lithium Belt. The south American belt holds more than 75% of world Lithium reserves. (Including some regions of Argentina, Bolivia and Chile)
Top Lithium producers
The top Lithium producing countries in the world are Australia, Chile, China and Argentina.
Nation State Law
What is Nation State Law?
- Israel as the Nation-State of the Jewish People is informally known as the Nation State Law.
- The law allows Israel to identify itself as a nation-state of Jewish people.
- It ensures and promote the self-determination rights of the Jewish people.
- It was enacted in 2018.
- This law gained constitutional status.
- Israel has no constitution.
- However, it has a set of basic laws that have constitutional status.
- There are 14 such basic laws which have constitutional status.
- The nation-state law downgraded Arabic language from the status of official language.
- The law defines the symbols of Israel such as state emblem, state flag and state anthem.
- According to the Nation-State law, the language of Israel is Hebrew.
- 20% of the population speak Arabic.
- The law declared Jerusalem as “Whole and United” as capital of Israel. This is contradictory to Israel-Palestine conflict.
Why it’s most talked about: Impacts of the law
The law discriminates against the Arab minority (around 18% population is Muslim and Speak Arabic) in the country.
- The law destabilizes the peace process with Palestine. The Israel-Palestine conflict is an on-going conflict over land claimed by Jews as their birth right.
- In 1897, Jews began a movement called the Zionist movement to escape the persecution and establish their own state.
- The World Zionist Organization was established to advocate the rights of the establishment of Jewish homeland in Palestine. The movement gave impetus to large number of Jews in Palestine and they began to buy lands and settle down.
- Under British control in 1916 the division of Ottoman Turkish empire started. After Hitler gained power in Germany, thousands resettled in Palestine from Europe. Arabs saw this as a threat to their identity and homeland.
- This gave rise to conflicts between Jews & Arabs.
- In 1947, the British Government referred the issue to UN to split the land between the two countries and thus Jewish people having allies with US and greater say at UN dominated and declared independence of Israel.
What India can gain from Recent Brexit deal signed between the European Union and United Kingdom?
With Brexit deal, India has the potential to boost its bilateral trade with UK by 26%. India currently enjoys a trade surplus of 2 billion USD with the United Kingdom.
- Mainly in the service sector as the UK currencies are becoming cheaper, thus it will be less expensive for the Indian IT Companies to offer their services and incentives such as ease of regulations, tax and opening up markets.
- Brexit opens new avenues for India to sign trade deals separately with EU and UK.
- There are restrictions in the travel of professionals. The EU professionals will now have to go through a conventional process of applying for fresh visa and other procedures to travel to UK post Brexit. However, this will be open opportunities for Indian professionals. Also, India has to its advantage a pool English-speaking population.