Crowdfunding: To help two children suffering from rare disease
The Delhi High Court (HC) has asked the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to help two children suffering from rare diseases through crowdfunding. The two children are suffering from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. According to the Delhi High Court, ‘Right to health and Healthcare is a fundamental right which has been recognized by the apex court to be an element of the Right to life under Article 21 of the Supreme law (the Constitution.’
What is Crowdfunding?
It is the collective efforts of a large pool of individuals in order to raise capital.
Types of Crowdfunding
- Donation-based crowdfunding- When a large number of individuals donate a small amount to a project/subject.
- Rewards-based crowdfunding- When an individual contributes to a business in exchange for a reward.
– A disease or a health condition that affects a small number of people as compared to the number of people affected due to prevalent diseases.
– No universal definition is available for rare diseases.
– 3/4th of rare diseases are genetic in origin.
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy:
– It is a genetic disorder in which muscles degenerate and the patient goes through weakness.
– Symptoms: Muscle Weakness, Enlargement of Calves, etc.
Rooftop Solar Scheme Advisory was released by the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE)
Objective of the advisory:
The MNRE is implementing a Grid-connected Rooftop Solar Scheme (Phase-II) to generate solar power by installing solar panels.
Grid-connected Rooftop Solar Scheme (Phase-II)
By the year 2022, the scheme aims to achieve 40,000 MW from rooftop solar projects. The scheme promotes grid-connected Solar Photo Voltaic (SPV) and small SPV power generating plants. It also promotes renewable sources of energy and urges to reduce dependency on fossil fuels.
At the state level, the distribution companies (DISCOMs) are responsible to implement the scheme.
Other related schemes:
– Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan (PM-KUSUM)
– Scheme for Development of Ultra Mega Renewable Energy Power Park
– National Wind-Solar Hybrid Policy
– Atal Jyoti Yojana
– National Solar Mission
– International Solar Alliance: The initiative was launched by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and the then President of France on the sidelines of the Conference of Parties (COP-21). Worldwide 121 solar resource-rich countries are prospective members which are lying fully or partially between Tropic of Capricorn or Tropic of Cancer.
– One Sun, One World, One Grid (OSOWOG): It aims to facilitate a framework for global cooperation and to build an ecosystem of interconnected solar energy resources that can be shared seamlessly.
Economic Assistance for 1G Ethanol
Department of Food & Public Distribution has declared a modified scheme to extend economic assistance for producers of 1st generation 1G Ethanol from cereals like rice, wheat, barley, corn and sorghum, sugarcane, and sugar beet.
The economic assistance will be provided to:
- To increase ethanol distillation capacity.
- To convert molasses-based distilleries into dual feedstock for the production of Ethanol.
The main objective behind the initiative is to blend at least 20% of ethanol with fossil fuels by the year 2025. Previously the target of 20% blending of ethanol was set to achieve in the year 2030. The government will sponsor interest subvention for 5 years. The scheme will provide fix minimum support price (Fixed remuneration) for the livestock-based ethanol.
Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
Minister: Piyush Goyal
Minister of State: Raosaheb Danve
Renowned Indian Oncologist Dr V Shanta passed away at 93
Chairman of Cancer Institute, Adyar, Chennai, Tamilnadu and a renowned oncologist Dr V Shanta passed away. She was bestowed with Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan.
About Dr V Shanta:
- Born on 11th March 1927 in Mylapore, Chennai, Dr V Shanta has completed her studies in medicines.
- She made providing accessibility to good quality healthcare and treatment to all cancer patients in India her goal.
- She played a pivotal role in the development of Adyar Institute of Cancer (founded by the first women in India to graduate in medicine Dr Muthulakshmi Reddy) after she joined it in 1955.
- For her service to the people of nation she was bestowed with Padma Shri in 1986, Padma Bhushan in 2006 and Padma Vibhushan in 2016.
- She also received Roman Magsaysay Award in the 2005.
- She was also a fellow member of National Academy of Medical Sciences, Delhi.
Saksham 2021 Awards distributed by Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas
A month-long awareness campaign was launched by the Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA). The campaign was aimed to promote cleaner fuels and educate people regarding the adverse effects of fossil fuels on health and the environment. The campaign was launched from 16th Jan 2021 to 15th Feb 2021. The tagline of the campaign was ‘Green and Clean Energy’.
A Memorandum of Understanding was also signed between PCRA & Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) to promote pipelines based Natural Gas Stove.
Saksham stands for:
‘Sankaran Kshamta Mahotsav’
Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
– Union Minister: Dharmendra Pradhan
– HQ: New Delhi
– Chairman: Rajeev Sharma
Iron Ore Policy 2021 for allocation of train rakes and Transportation of Iron Ore
Indian Railways issued iron-ore policy 2021 to allocate train rakes and transportation of iron ore. The policy will be effective from 10th Feb 2021. The main motto of the policy is to provide logistics support to iron ore customers which will eventually help to boost the iron and steel industry. The policy also aims to simplify the procedure by reducing the documentation conducted by the Indian railways and by facilitating the Ease of Doing Business.
Minister of Railways: Piyush Goyal
Nation’s first Labour movement Museum to be set up in Kerala
Kerala will be the first state in India to set up a museum showcasing the history of the world’s labor movements. The museum will be set up in the houseboat in Alappuzha, Kerala. The museum will be a part of the Alappuzha Heritage Tourism Project.
– The houseboat has been renovated to transform into a museum. 97% of the transforming work has been completed. A budget of Rs. 10 crores have been provided for the construction of museums.
CM: Pinarayi Vijayan
Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
Education Minister was honoured with Sahitya Gaurav Samman 2021 by Hindi Writers Guild, Canada
Union Education Minister Mr. Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ was honoured with Hindi Writers Guild of Canada, ‘Sahitya Gaurav Samman’.
Why he was chosen for the award?
The award was given to the minister for his contribution in Hindi Literature. He has written more than 75 books of which many have been translated into many national and foreign languages.
Famous creations of the author:
- Dreams that Don’t let you sleep
- Sakaratmak Soch: Swami Viveknanada
- Just a Desire
He is also recipient of following awards:
- Vatayan Life Achievement Award 2020
- Sahitya Gaurav Samman (From former President A. P. J. Abdul Kalam)
- Bharat Gaurav Samman
- Good Governance Award (From Dubai Government)
Vice President released a book written on Abdul Kalam
Vice President of India M. Venkaiah Naidu (ex-officio chairman of Rajya Sabha) has released a Tamil book titled ‘Abdul Kalam – Ninaivugalukku Maranamillai’, i.e., immortal memories of Abdul Kalam, at Raj Bhavan, Chenna, Tamilnadu. It is a biography of late President Abdul Kalam. The book was written jointly by APJM Nazema Maraikayar (Managing Trustee Abdul Kalam International Foundation) and Space Scientist Dr Y. S. Rajan.
About Abdul Kalam:
- Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam was born on 15th October 1931.
- He was an aerospace scientist who worked with Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- After Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan and Dr Zakir Hussain, he was the third President of India who had received Bharat Ratna before he became the President of India.
- He was the first scientist and first bachelor to become the President of India.
- The first Medical Tech institute situated in the Coastal town and one of the capitals of Andhra Pradesh, Vishakhapatnam, was named after him as, Kalam Institute of Health and Technology.
- The Dr A. P. J. Abdul KALAM National memorial was built by Defence research And Development Organization (DRDO) in his memory at Rameswaram.
National Disaster Response Force Raising Day was celebrated on 19th January 2021
16th National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) Raising day was observed on 19th Jan 2021. Between 1990 to 2004 various natural calamities have occurred. To conduct disaster management operations in particular, a need of a force was felt. After Tsunami waves hit the southern part of mainland, a statutory body named National Disaster Response Force under the Disaster Management Act was established on 26th Dec 2005.
- Director General: S. N. Pradhan
- Motto: Apda Seva Sadaiv
- Parent Ministry: Ministry of Home Affairs
- Headquarter: New Delhi
Telangana and Gujarat Govt has virtually signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to fund women-led start-ups
WE-Hub of Telangana Govt and I-Hub of Gujarat Govt have signed an agreement virtually to support women-led start-ups in both the states. Funds will be raised to provide capital in various sectors. It is a first of its kind initiative in which two state governments are working together for women empowerment.
WE-Hub is the first state-sponsored incubator of India exclusively for women entrepreneurs. Telangana Govt started the initiative in the year 2017.
Elements of the Agreement:
- Initially 240 women will be selected for the pre-incubation training and 20 of them will be selected for the incubation program in sectors like Fintech, Edtech and Medtech.
- The program is expected to start from the 1st week of Feb 2021.
- Since its establishment, it has worked with 3400+ women entrepreneurs and has created more than 300 jobs. It also worked upon 11 start-up programs and has run incubation rounds for 148 start-ups.
- Chief Executing Officer (CEO): Deepti Ravula
- Headquarter: Hyderabad, Telangana
- Chairperson: Anju Sharma
- HQ: Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
Indo-French Joint Exercise Desert Knight-21
A bilateral military exercise named Desert Knight-21 is being conducted between the air force of India and France.
The exercise is scheduled between 20th – 24th Jan at Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
- The exercise is significant as for the first time Indian Air Force’s Rafale will be participating in such an exercise wherein a foreign nation is involved.
- Both the air force will showcase their firepower and will give a message of increasing and consolidating relationship between both the countries.
Military exercises between France and India:
- Varuna – Navy
- Garuda – Air Exercise
- Shakti – Army
Military Exercises with similar name:
- Garuda Shakti – India & Indonesia
- Mitra Shakti – India & Sri Lanka
- Indian Airforce conducts Garuda Shakti exercise to showcase its firepower in the region.
Birth Anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh is observed on 20th Jan 2021
About Guru Gobind Singh:
- He was born on 22nd Dec, 1766 in Patna, Bihar.
- He was the tenth guru of Sikh religion.
- He was the son of 9th Sikh guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur.
- After the murder of 9th Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji became the last Sikh Guru at the age of nine.
- He was also assassinated (murdered) in 1708.
- He introduced the turban to cover hair.
- He founded the principle of Khalsa (Five K’s).
- He fought the battle of Muktsar in 1705 against Mughals.
- Literary Contribution: Jap Sahib, Benti Chaupai, Amrit Savaiye, etc.
- He also wrote a letter known as Zafaranama, to the then Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb.
Stranded wild elephant was rescued in Karnataka
- A stranded wild elephant was spotted in Nugu Reservoir, Karnataka near Bandipur Tiger Reserve.
Bandipur Tiger Reserve:
- The tiger reserve was established in 1973 under Project Tiger. Initially, it was known as Venugopala Wildlife Park, later it was enlarged and renamed.
According to the 2018 Tiger Census, Karnataka consists of the highest number of Tigers in India after Madhya Pradesh.
Tiger Reserves in Karnataka:
- Bhadra Tiger Reserve
- Nagarhole Tiger Reserve
- Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve, etc.