New Airport inaugurated under Regional Connectivity Scheme: Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagarik (UDAN)
– Hisar Airport was inaugurated recently under the RCS-UDAN Scheme in Haryana.
– A flight was departed from Chandigarh to Hisar (Haryana). Thus, Chandigarh to Hisar Air Taxi becomes the first Air Taxi service in Haryana.
– The public licensed airport is suitable for the 18-seat aircraft.
– The aircraft on the Chandigarh-Hisar route will be operated by the airline called Aviation Connectivity and Infrastructure Developer Pvt. Ltd (Air TAXI).
– After which the airline becomes the first Airline Start up to assist the nation with Air Taxi services.
Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS): Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagarik (UDAN)
– The scheme was inaugurated on 10th October 2016 by the Ministry of Civil Aviation to stimulate regional air connectivity within the nation and to make air travel affordable for the common man (Aam Nagarik).
– Funding of the scheme will be jointly sponsored by both, the central and the respective state governments.
– Initially, the scheme has been launched for 10 years which is extendable.
CM- Manohar Lal Khattar
Dy CM- Dushyant Chautala
Governor- Satyadev Narayan Arya
Ministry of Science & Technology launched National Innovation Portal
The portal named National Innovation portal has been developed by the Ministry of Science and Technology. The portal was developed by the National Innovation Foundation.
– National Innovation Portal is filled with more than 1.15 lakh innovations from the common people of the country from various fields like Engineering, Agriculture, Veterinary and Human Health, and covers mechanical, automobile, electrical, electronics, civil, chemical, textiles, energy, etc. related innovations.
National Innovation Foundation:
– It is an autonomous body works under the aegis of Department of Science and Technology, Govt of India.
– Third Phase of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana was launched in the 600 districts across the nation.
– Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has launched the Third Phase of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) was launched in the 600 districts across the nation.
– The 3rd Phase is aimed at new age skills and after COVID-19 related skills.
– During the period 2020-21, 8 lakh candidates envisages training under Skill India Mission PMKVY 3.0 with an outlay of Rs 948.9 crores.
– About 729 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras (PMKKs), several non-PMKK training centres and more than 200 ITIs will be giving training to create robust pool of skilled professionals.
Skill India Mission:
– Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Skill India Mission on the 15th July 2015 with a goal to train over 40 crore people in India in different skulls by 2022.
It is an umbrella scheme which covers various initiatives like:
1) National Skill Development Mission
2) National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
3) Pradhan Mantri Kausal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
4) Skill Loan Scheme
8 Trains connecting different regions of the nation to Statue of Unity
On 17th January, Prime Minister flagged off 8 trains connecting different regions of the nation to Kevadiya, Gujarat where the Statue of Unity, the tallest statue of the world is located.
– To provide seamless connectivity to the Statue of Unity, situated on the Narmada River in the Kevadiya, Gujarat.
– The Prime Minister will also inaugurate the converted broad gauge railway line Dabhoi – Chandod, Chandod – Kevadiya section, and newly electrified section between Pratapnagar – Kevadiya.
– The section was awarded with new stations like Dabhoi, Chandod and Kevadiya.
– Green Building Certification has been provided to the Kevadiya Railway station which makes the Kevadiya Railways Station, the first Green Building Certified Railway Station.
India & Japan has signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in the field of 5G Technologies, Smart Cities, Telecom Security, etc.
The agreement was signed by Union Minister of Communications Minister of Internal affairs of Japan. Various services like 5G technologies, telecom security, disaster management and public safety, high altitude platform for broadband in unconnected areas, etc. Centre for development of Telematics and Indian Telephone Industries Ltd will also collaborate with to boost the corporation.
At the event, the Minister of Information and Telecommunication also praised the efforts of Japan regarding timely execution of laying down of submarine optical fibre cable connecting Andaman and Nicobar to the main land India.
Ministry of Communication:
Minister- Ravi Shankar Prasad
Minister of State- Sanjay Dhotre
Prime MINISTER- Yoshihide Suga
Internal Affairs Minister- Takeda Ryota
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan Inaugurated the merged institutions of Centre for Scientific and Industrial Research
Union Minister of Earth Sciences, Science & Technology, and Health & Family Welfare inaugurated a new institute by combining the prestigious institutes of CSIR.
Name of New Institute:
CSIR-National Institute of Science Communication and Policy Research (CSIR-NIScPR)
Names of Merged Institute:
1) CSIR-National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources. (CSIR-NIScAIR)
2) CSIR-National Institute of Science, technology, and Development Studies. (CSIR-NISTADS)
CSIR-NIScAIR: It used to publish science magazines like Vigyan Pragati and Science Reporter. The institution has also been a custodian of more than 5000 scientific e-journals.
CSIR-NISTADS: It conducts policy research regarding the History of Science, Science and Technology and Society, Science and Technology, and Innovation.
Director-General: Dr Shekhar Mande
HQ: New Delhi
Ministry: Ministry of Science and Technology
Why the institutes were merged?
To create an institution that will be a globally respected Think Tank and as a Resource Centre to understand Science, Technology & Innovation (STI) Policy Research and Communication.
Doppler weather radars in Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh & MAUSAM Portal
Union Minister of Earth Sciences Mr. Harsh Vardhan has inaugurated the Doppler Weather Radars at Mukteswar Uttarakhand and Kufri, Himachal Pradesh. He was attending the 146th foundation day celebration ceremony of Indian Meteorological Department Day.
Doppler Weather Radars (DWRs):
– The DWRs will be useful to forecast weather to support farmers and disaster managers in Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh. It will also help to pilgrimage centers like Kailas Man Sarovar and Char Dham Yatra to administer the religious places.
– Mausam Journal is the Indian Meteorological Department’s premier scientific research journal published in the fields of meteorology, hydrology, geophysics, etc.
– The journal is published quarterly in a year, i.e., January, April, July, and October.
– The first edition of the journal was published in the year 1950.
– Mausam portal will be launched in collaboration with CSIR-NASCAR.
India Meteorological Department:
Director-General: Mrutyunjay Mohapatra
HQ: New Delhi
5th Edition of United Nation’s Environment Program Adaptation Gap Report released
The United Nations Environment Program and World Adaptation Science Program have released the Adaptation Gap Report.
– Though many countries are planning and implementing initiatives to achieve the goals, the targets set under the Paris Agreement are far ahead.
– Especially, the developing countries are facing a huge gap as they are short of funds required to achieve the goals.
– At present, the adaptation cost of planning, preparing, facilitating, and implementing adaptation measures is in the range of 70 billion USD for developing countries.
– It is estimated to be increased to 140-300 billion USD in 2030 and 280-500 Billion USD in 2050, which will be more than 4 times.
Executive Director: Inger Anderson
HQ: Nairobi, Kenya
India possesses World’s Largest Transitional Community
United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) has released an International Migration 2020 report.
– According to the report World’s largest Transitional Community is possessed by India as 18 million people of Indian origin were living outside India in 2020.
– Countries in the list with their transitional community numbers are: 1) India = 18 million; 2) Mexico & Russia = 11 million; 3) China = 10 million; 4) Syrian Arab Republic = 8 million.
– Largest numbers of Indian Migrants: UAE comprises the most migrants living in 2020, i.e., 2.8-3 million; USA – 2.7 Million and Saudi Arabia – 2.7 million.
– Number of international migrants living outside of their country of birth in 2020 – 281 million.
Former Minister Kamal Morarka passes away
Former Minister Kamal Morarka who has served in the cabinet of Prime Minister Chandra Shekhar has passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Open Skies Treaty: Russia pulls out
After the withdrawal of the USA, Russia also pulled off from the Open Skies Treaty.
What is the Open Skies Treaty (OST)?
– During the Cold War, the USA has proposed the Open Skies Treaty in 1955.
– But after the demise of the Soviet Union, the treaty was signed among 34 countries (mainly the NATO members) including the USA & Russia.
– The aim of the OST was to build confidence among the 34 countries to reduce the accidental war.
– The treaty allows surveillance of any part of signatories’ countries with its consent. But the surveillance can be done with the help of approved imagery equipment. The treaty also allows the sharing of information like the deployment of missiles, military exercises, troop movements, etc. among the countries.
– India was not a part of the group.
Why Russia left?
Russia feels that the data shared by it with other treaty members can be leaked to the USA. But it cannot have access to the USA data.
The problem for India?
– India maintains diplomatic relations with both the USA and Russia.
– India is majorly dependent on Russian supplies of arms, however, many Indian deals have been progressing and are in the pipeline with the USA.
– Such a situation leaves India in a difficult position as India wants a mutual relationship with both countries.
Volcano eruption in Indonesia
After the Merapi (Java) and Sinabung (Sumatra) Volcano eruption, Semeru Volcano situated in the East Java Province of Indonesia has also erupted recently.
Semeru Volcano (The Great Mountain):
– Semeru is one of the most active volcanoes and is the highest in the Java region.
– Previously, it erupted in Dec 2019.
Note: Indonesia possesses a maximum number of volcanoes in the world.