After China, India becomes the second largest manufacturer of the PPE Kit
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Kits are the essential and the primary need to protect Corona warriors, the healthcare staff of any hospital treating Corona patients. Indian healthcare sector had fought excellently while treating people professionally and as a human being to provide patients moral support that too in a strange condition where the keens of patients were not able to even see them. Availability of PPE kit definitely helped the staffs to exercise their responsibilities and duties at their full potential. Recently, Union Minister of Textiles Smriti Irani has declared that during the lockdown periods India became the second largest producer of PPE Kits & Suits.
4th Edition of One Planet Summit 2021 held virtually
France in cooperation with World Bank & United Nations has organized the 4th edition of One Planet Summit (OPS) to set up global biodiversity targets in order to safeguard nature in the next decade.
Theme: “Let’s act together for nature”.
India has not attended the summit along with Brazil, Russia, and the Unites States.
There are four major topics of OPS 2021 as follows:
- Protecting Terrestrial and Marine Ecosystem.
- Promoting Agro ecology.
- Increasing funding to protect biodiversity.
- Identifying links between deforestation and the health of humans and animals.
What is One Planet Summit?
- It was started from the year 2017.
- Objective- To preserve oceans, climate and biodiversity.
- Aim- To speed up the implementations of various international agreements related to safeguard nature
- Meeting- Paris 2017; New York 2018; Nairobi 2019; Year 2020 was reserved for China, but now due to pandemic it is shifted to the year 2021.
President- Emmanuel Macron
President- David Malpass
22nd Financial Stability Report of Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- Gross Non-Performing Assets (GNPA) may increase to 13.5%.
- If gets severe the GNPA may increase to 14.4% which would be 24 year high.
Financial Stability Report
- The report states the overall assessment of Sub-Committee of the Financial Stability and Development Council. The committee looks after the risks related to development and regulations of the financial sector.
Reserve Bank of India
- It was established in 1935 on the recommendation of the Hilton Young Commission.
- The current president of RBI is Shaktikanta Das.
- The printing of currency notes is done by RBI.
- Manmohan Singh is the only Prime Minister of India who has served as the Governor of RBI.
Various organizations come together to stockpile the Ebola Vaccine
World Health Organization (WHO), International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), etc. collaborated to stockpile the vaccine of Ebola Disease.
The reason to stockpile the vaccination is precautionary to counter the sudden outbreak of the disease.
At present 6800 doses are available but the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE) on immunization has suggested to stockpile at least 5,00,000 doses.
The disease was discovered in the year 1976, in Democratic Republic of Congo, an African Country.
Symptoms- Sudden Fever, Intense weakness, muscle pain, sore throat, etc.
- It is an injectable single-dose Ebola Vaccine which was manufactured by Merck, Sharp & Dohme (MSD) Corp.
- The vaccination stockpile has to be stored in Ultra Cold Storage of Switzerland.
- In case of any emergency the stockpile can be transported to the country within 48 hours.
World Health Organization
HQ- Geneva, Switzerland.
Head- Tedros Adhanom
HQ- Geneva, Switzerland
President- Francesco Rocca
First Fire Park of India inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik
The Chief Minister of Odisha has virtually inaugurated the first ever fire park of India in the capital city Bhubaneshwar. A platform to provide 16 fire related services has also been launched by the CM. The name of the platform is ‘Agnishama Seva’.
What are Fire Parks?
- It is a first of kind initiative in the nation to spread awareness related to the fire safety measures. Mainly students of schools and colleges are targeted for the initiative.
- It will work under the Odisha Fire and Disaster Academy in Bhubaneshwar.
- The Fire Park will remain open for general public on every Saturday between 03.30 pm to 05.30 pm.
Various activities conducted in Fire Park are as follows:
- Demonstration of first aid firefighting equipment.
- Rescue and Disaster Relief Operations.
- Exhibition Hall visit.
- Screening of Films.
- Distribution of Leaflets on fire safety.
CM- Naveen Patnaik
Governor- Ganeshi Lal
National Parks- Bhitarkanika, Simlipal, etc.
Ramsar Sites- Chilika Lake, Bhitarkanika Mangroves, etc.
India and Vietnam conducted Defence Security Dialogue
The 13th edition of Defence Security Dialogue between India and Vietnam has been conducted virtually.
Mr. Ajay Kumar, Defence Secretary of India and Lt Gen Nguyen Chi Vinh Deputy Defence Minister of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam co-chaired the meeting. Both countries discussed the action plans. Before this, a virtual summit was organized between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc in December 2020.
– They reviewed the Bilateral Defence Cooperation Initiatives.
– They discussed on elevating engagements between armed forces of India & Vietnam under the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Framework.
– Progress in the Defence Industry and Technology cooperation has also been reviewed.
– Vietnam has also shown its interest in Akash Surface to Air Missile.
– Vietnam is also interested in not only buying the Akash but also in Transfer Of Technology (ToT) and advanced version of Akash-NG.
– Vietnam also expects maritime cooperation from India against China in the South China Sea.
– Brahmos and Dhruv Helicopters are other military platforms in which Vietnam is interested in.
– The trade between both countries has reached to 12.3 billion USD in the financial year 2019-20.
– Both countries are key partner in Indo-Pacific initiatives.
It is a South-East Asian Country.
Prime Minister- Nguyen Xuan Phuc
India Signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Russia on Marine Sciences and Technology
National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) of Goa & National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI) of Hyderabad which comes under the Council of Scientific Research and Industry (CSIR) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with a Russian Institute named Pacific Oceanological Institute (POI) to conduct research in Marine Sciences and Technology.
The MoU was signed by the directors of both the Indian Institutes, Prof. Sunil Kumar (Director of NIO) & Dr Virendra Tiwari (Director of NGRI), and Director of the Russian Institute Dr V. B. Lobanov.
Elements of the MoU
– It enables researchers from both the countries to raise the capacity and skill development in the field of marine sciences and technology, knowledge sharing in the field of sustainable development for Economic and Intellectual development of both the countries.
– It allows strengthening the partnership of both countries in order to contain the ocean pollution and climate changes.
– The MoU will help to organize expeditions for research and study of oceanic resources and ecosystem.
President- Vladimir Putin
Cuba redesignated as the State Sponsor of Terrorism
State Department of the United States has redesignated as the State Sponsor of Terrorism. According to the US, Cuba has repeatedly supported acts of international terrorism.
The US categories sanctions impose on any country into 4 categories:
If the US imposes a fine on any country then the US:
- Won’t provide any foreign assistance to that particular country.
- Would ban the exports and sales of defence equipment and military platforms.
- Would put control on use and export of dual-use items.
- Can impose sanction on other countries dealing with the particular country.
At present, there are four countries under the sanctions list of the United States- Iran, Syria, North Korea & Cuba. Though Cuba was removed from the list in 2015, it has been added recently.
India’s stand on Cuba’s sanctions
- India supports the upliftment of economic blockade imposed on Cuba. In 2019, The US opposed the inclusion of Cuba in the United Nations Human Right Convention. A number of countries have raised their voices against this decision and demanded to end the unjust and long economic blockade against Cuba in the United Nations General Assembly.
- India always supports multilateralism, an act of a country like this, questions the credibility of the United Nations.
Way forward for India
India has good relations with both the countries, if tension escalates India have to find a way out by balancing the relationship rationally and diplomatically.
Special Marriage Act, 1954
Allahabad High Court recently put down the provision of the Special Marriage Act that demands to give 30-day mandatory public notice of their decision to marry.
What is the Special Marriage Act, 1954?
– The Act validates and registers interreligious and inter-caste marriages in the country.
– It gives permission to two individuals of different religion, faith or caste to solemnize their marriage through a contract.
– There are no religious formalities required under the Act.
Important sections of the Act
– No living spouse of the parties should exist.
– Both the parties should be mentally fit or sane at the time of marriage.
– Female must be of at least 18 years and male must be at least 21.
Section 5 & 6:
– Parties willing to marry should give a 30-day prior mandatory public notice to the marriage officer. The Marriage Officer should be posted in an area where one of the spouses belongs.
– Anybody can raise the objection to the marriage within a period of 30 days.
– If the objection is sustained by the Marriage Officer, the marriage can be rejected.
Allahabad High court Verdict:
– The provision of publication of mandatory notice has been put down in the verdict as it invades the fundamental rights of liberty and privacy.
– The court referred the Special Marriage Act, 1954 as a secular law, the court further added that marriage happens under personal law, it does not require any 30-day prior mandatory public notice then why does the secular law demands it.