INS Karanj commissioned into Indian Navy
Indian Navy’s third scorpene class stealth submarine INS Karanj has been commissioned into the Indian Navy at the Mumbai based Naval Dockyard. The submarine would be a part of a base situated near Navi Mumbai named Uran and will operate under Western Naval Command’s fleet.
INS Karanj is named after an island located South-East of Mumbai Harbour.
INS Karanj is not a new name for the Indian Navy, before the Scorpene class submarine, a Russian Origin submarine was commissioned in the naval arm in 1969 which served till 2003 for 34 years before it got decommissioned.
About Project 75i:
– The project aims at constructing six Scorpene class attack submarines.
– The Indian Defence Ministry and Indian Navy are providing full-fledged support to the manufacturers during its various phases of trials and construction.
– Mazgaon Dock Limited (MDL) is manufacturing the submarine with an assistance of a France based Naval Group following a multibillion deal from Oct 2005.
– Mazgaon Dock Limited is the only Submarine Builder as of now in the country.
What is Scorpene Class?
– Scorpene is a class of diesel-electric propulsion submarine constructed under Project 75i.
– It is one of the most sophisticated submarines which can perform multifarious missions.
– Capable Operations – Anti-Submarine Warfare, Anti-Surface Ship Warfare, etc.
– The submarine can go down to 300m and weighs 1500 tonnes.
– It is the most modern conventional submarine series procured in the Indian navy since 20030 after the INS Sindhushastra.
Largest Floating Solar Power Plant by May 2021
A 100 Megawatt Capacity floating solar power plant is being constructed in Telangana’s Ramagundam, Pedapalli District. Considering the generation capacity of the power plant it is said to be the largest floating solar power plant in the country.
The power plant is to developed by the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) OVER Sri Ram Sagar Project Reservoir at a cost of INR 423 Crore.
Along with the above mentioned dam, following power plants are also to be constructed by May-June 2021:
– At Simhadri, Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh; Capacity- 25 MW floating
– At Kayamkulam, Kerala – 92 MW
The Telangana based Solar power will remain the largest floating solar power plant till 2022-23, as a 600 MW floating solar power plant is under construction in Omkareshwar, Madhya Pradesh over Narmada River in Khandwa District, Madhya Pradesh.
Estd. – 1975
CMD – Gurdeep Singh
Headquarters – New Delhi
Koneru Humpy won the BBC Indian Sportswoman of the year 2020
Chess Player Koneru Hampy won the BBC Indian Sports Woman of the year Award for 2020. She won in a voting battle against air gun shooter Manu Bhaker, Rani Rampal (Indian Women’s Hockey Captain Team). Dutee Chand (Sprinter), and Vinesh Phogat (Westler).
About Koneru Hampy:
– She is a 33-year-old Chess Player from Andhra Pradesh.
– She was bestowed with India’s 4th highest civilian award Padma Shri.
– In 2002, at the age of 15, she became the youngest grandmaster.
– In Dec 2019, she won the World Rapid Chess Championship Title.
– In 2020 she becomes the winner of the Cairns Cup.
– She was awarded Arjuna Award in 2003.
About the Award:
– The Award was launched in 2019 to commemorate and celebrate the success of women and girls in sports.
– In 2019, PV Sindhu was the winner of the Sportswoman of the year Award.
Other Important Awards:
– Lifetime Achievement Award: The Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Anju Bobby George for her contribution in the field of athletics and to have won the gold medal in World Championship
– Emerging player of the Year Award: The Award was received by Manu Bhaker, an airgun shooter.
GC Murmu appointed as the Chairman of United Nation’s Panel of External Auditors
The Comptroller and Autor General of India and the first Lt Gov of the Union Territory of Jammu Kashmir, Girish Chandra Murmu has been re-appointed as the Chairman of United Nation’s Panel of External Auditors for the year 2021. He had played the same role in the year 2020 also. The ex-bureaucrat was born in the Mayurbhanj District of Odisha.
At present, he is the External Auditor of the United Nation’s following agencies:
– World Health Organization (WHO)
– Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
– Inter Parliamentary Union
He will serve in WHO till 2023, IN Food and Agriculture Organization till 2025, and till 2022 for Inter Parliamentary Union.
ICAR received King Bhumibol World Soil Day 2020 Award
The Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) received the King Bhumibol World Soil Day Award 2020. The award was conferred by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).