About INET :
INET, also known as Indian Navy Entrance Test, is an online entrance exam for recruitment of officers for the Indian Navy. This test follows the line of the AFCAT exam which is also known as Air Force Common Admission Test, which is conducted for the recruitment of officers required for the Air force of India.
Since its introduction, INET was conducted for the recruitment of sailors only but now is been conducted for recruitment of naval officers as well. This reintroduces the chance for defence aspirants, who couldn’t get in due to a lesser percentage, both for male and females.
INET has been replacing the traditional pen-and-paper method of exam for better recruitment numbers, far and wider reach and it was carried out successfully, which resulted in the registrations of over 6.33 lakh aspirants.
For defence aspirants, both men and women, those candidates who have completed their B. Tech or BE, shall be considered to be eligible for this test.
Who can apply for INET examination?
Men and women, who are unmarried and have passed with an Engineering degree or are pursuing their final year of engineering, from any of the recognised AICTE institutes can apply. The candidates would require a minimum of 60% in their B. Tech or BE final examination before joining the Indian Naval Academy. The candidates who do not meet the required cut-off and the specific age mentioned will not be allowed to join the Indian Naval Academy, located in Ezhimala. Aspiring candidates could refer to the image given below and apply for the required post.
The candidates need to understand that the number of vacancies could be changed depending on the slots available for training. It is also to be noted that only one application is to be filled by the candidate. Candidates with more than one preference should mention them in the application provided so that there is a chance that the candidate would be shortlisted for other fields. Candidates will be chosen by the SSB (Services Selection Board) according to the candidates INET rank only. If the candidate has not been considered for the first choice in their application, the candidate shall be considered for any other alternative Branch/Cadre subject, which is based on its current availability of vacant slots in Services Selection Board of the particular branch. Once the candidate has been shortlisted for the particular Branch/Cadre, the candidate will have to appear for the remaining selection process such as the medical test and meriting test, which is exclusive for the branch/Cadre only. Only equivalent courses of B. Tech or BE which are mentioned above shall be considered valid for the selection process at any stage.
Requirements for the candidates:
- Medical Standard requirements: All the candidates who have been selected by the Services Selection Board are required to undergo a medical examination as per the specified regulation. There is absolutely no compromise in the medical examination.
- Relaxation in Height and Weight of the candidate: The candidate should carry height of at least 152 cm in terms of female and 157 cm for males which should be complemented with a proportionate chest expansion of minimum 05 cm. Candidate should not have any history of mental and physical issues. The candidates shouldn’t have any cardiovascular disease or any surgical disability or have any past history of fits or psychiatric ailment etc. Candidates should have the colour perception standard of CP II and should meet the eyes visual standards set.
- Relaxation for a tattoo: Tattoos permanently inked are only permitted on the inner face of the forearms which is the inside part of the elbow to the wrist. Permanent tattoo on any other part of the body is not allowed and the candidate wouldn’t be selected for during recruitment.
- Pay and allowances details: Selected candidates are recruited as sub-lieutenants. Further details regarding the details of the pay and the allowances are can be referred from www.joinindiannavy.gov.in
- Commission and tenure: Candidates selected for Short Service Commission shall be granted Short Service Commission for 10 years which can further be extended for a maximum duration of 04 years, divided by two terms of 02 years each, which is primarily depended on service requirement and service performance of the candidate, medical eligibility and the candidate’s willingness. Candidates interested in permanent commission will require service of minimum 20 years for pension and later can continue the service till superannuation age.
Procedure for selection: the procedure for selection of a candidate is as follow-
- INET examination centre: All the candidates, who have submitted their applications before the due date, shall be contacted for the Indian Navy Entrance Test which will be conducted on the 19th of August at any of the preferred centres, which the candidate has chosen. Admit card cum Call up letters shall be available for download from the official website of the Indian Navy at www.joinindiannavy.gov.in by the second week of July ’19. The candidate must know that only electronic mode of communication shall be used for contacting the candidates at all the stages of communication. The Indian Navy Entrance Test shall be for a duration of 02 hours, which consists of a 100 Multiple Choice Questions, English, General Science, Reasoning and Numerical Ability, Mathematical Aptitude and General Knowledge. Each section shall be of 100 marks each, with 01 negative markings given for every incorrect answer. The Integrated Headquarters, Ministryof Defence has all the rights to select the candidates on the basis on their INET rank. The candidates selected through their INET rank would be considered for the Services Selection Board’s interview. SSB interview has tentatively been set for selected candidates from October ’19 at Bangalore for observer and pilot candidates at interviews for other branches to be held at Bangalore/Bhopal/Coimbatore/Vishakhapatnam/Kolkata. Candidates will be informed about their shortlisting through the email address and the phone number in terms of an SMS. For which the candidate is required to not change their method of correspondence until the selection process is complete.
- Services Selection Board Procedure: The SSB interview shall be conducted through two different stages. Candidates should pass stage 1 in order to qualify for stage 2. Those who fail to qualify for stage 1 shall be sent back for further information, the candidate shall visit the official website of the Indian Navy on www.joinindiannavy.gov.in
- Medical Test: All the candidates recommended by the Services Selection board shall be required to undergo strict medical inspection.
- Merit list and Appointment Letter: Merit list shall be grouped on the basis of the combined marks of both INET and the SSB. The candidates who are declared medically fit the Services Selection Board would be appointed for training according to the all India merit of the branch based on the number of vacancies on the respective branches.
- Examination fees: Candidates hailing from background castes such as SC, ST and women are not required to pay the fee. Whilst other candidates are required to pay a fee consisting of INR 205/- through online transfer. Those candidates who have successfully paid the fee shall be handed over the admit card. And similarly, for those who received the exemption of examination fee. It has to be duly noted that the fee once paid cannot be refunded nor be used as a backup for any other payment. In case the fee has been paid but the money has been deducted without the mention of any application number being generated, the candidate shall wait for 07 working days for the refund of money. There cannot be any change in the INET/SSB in terms of examination and interview under any permissible circumstances. Any further communication regarding the SSB dates shall be addressed to the call up officer on the receipt of the call up letter. Candidates shall download the call up letter upon prior intimation from the Integrated Headquarters,Ministry of Defence via SMS or Email address, which has been provided by the applicant in the application. Under no circumstances are compensation allowed in case of an injury during the Services Selection Board interviews. In case the candidate is appearing for the first time, the candidate is admissible for an A/c 3 tier railway fare for the type of commission. Selected candidates are required to take a photocopy of the initial pages of the passbook or the cheque leaf where the details about the account number and IFSC number has been mentioned whilst appearing for the Services Selection Board.
- Training: All the selected candidates shall be inducted as the Sub Lieutenant. Except the IT officers, all the remaining officers of all branches and cadres shall undergo 22 weeks of Naval Orientation Course whereas Officers from the SSC (IT) shall undergo 04 weeks of Naval Professional Training at the Naval Academy at Ezhimala. After the training session, professional training shall follow as per the regulations.
- A probation period of 3 years is applied to SSC (NAIC) officers and a probation period of 2 years for other branches and cadres. The probation period shall start from the date of grant of the Sub Lt rank and will be terminated immediately after the period of 3 years for SSC (NAIC) and 2 years for other branches and cadres upon completion of training.
- Unmarried candidates are liable for training. Any candidate who is found to be married or marries under the training period shall be discharged from the service and they shall return the full pay and the allowances allotted to them and also the expenses incurred by the Government for the candidate.
- If the candidate voluntarily resigns during the training period, they are liable to refund the cost of training as determined by the Government, be it in a whole or partial refund. And they shall refund it with the decided amount of interest.
- The candidate is requested to readily keep all the documents to enable correct information and details regarding the candidates. Fields such as email and mobile number is a must for correspondence. All the original copies of the required documents would have to scanned and attached while registering and applying for the application. The candidate is required to carry a printout of the application to the INET and SSB interview.
- In case of any query, the candidate could call the toll-free number 1800-419-2929 and press number 7 to speak to the customer service representative on any day of the week between 0800 hours to 2000 hours for any clarification and doubts regarding INET and SSB interview.
- The date for application starts on the 18th of May 2019 and the last day for application is on the 29th of May 2019.
Where to apply?
Candidates are required to register themselves and fill the requires information on the official website of the Indian Navy from the 18th of May, 2019 onwards on www.joinindiannavy.gov.in