If you are appearing for SSB interview, you know how tough this interview is going to be. Very few candidates are able to crack the interview and get recommended. The selection is completely based upon the OLQs (Officer Like Qualities) present in a candidate.
Every candidate needs a strategic plan and proper training to sharpen up your qualities as an Officer and understand yourself better.
Below given are 7 Best Strategies you can use to crack the SSB interview:
Presence of Mind:
Majority of candidates get rejected in the screening test itself, especially in PPDT as it is a knockout round.
And, a huge reason to fail PPDT is lack of presence of mind and poor preparation.
- To clear PPDT, practice is the key
- You need to study course materials (books, online articles, mock tests, etc.) available in the market and keep on practicing.
- Practice will make you understand the nature of PPDT well. Eventually, your ‘presence of mind’ will enhance and you will be swifter in writing the story in actual PPDT round.
Develop Analysing Power:
After PPDT, next big thing is TAT (Thematic Apperception Test) which is a part psychological testing. It is not a knockout round but plays a vital role in your SSB recommendation.
- You need to develop your analyzing power to score well in TAT.
- Analyse your patterns of thoughts, emotional responses, attitude towards various social/gender issues and observation skills.
- Many candidates fail to write a story, because they have poor analyzing abilities and lack concentration power.
- The more you practice for TAT, the more you will develop your comprehension skill. Again, practice is the key here.
Learn to Express Yourself Better:
- To express yourself better before assessors, you first need to understand yourself better.
- Try talking in front of a mirror, get to know your strengths, weaknesses and everything that relates to you.
- If you know yourself inside-out, you won’t hesitate to answer questions that revolve around you.
- Moreover, you will develop self-confidence as well.
- Observe Defence Officers, meet them and analyse their OLQs and behavior. Change your attitude and try to inculcate these qualities in yourself.
In group discussions, you need to showcase great communication skills
- If you cannot really put forward your point of views in GD rounds, you will come off as someone who lacks confidence and has poor communication skills.
- If you are weak in English, learn proper English grammar by either joining English classes or self-learning.
- Once you master English language, next thing is developing confidence to speak. For that, conduct GDs with your friends and practice on different topics of arts, politics, culture, social issues, etc. This way, you will gain courage to speak in front of people clearly.
Military Exercises and Fitness:
To perform military planning exercises, you need to be physically fit and mentally prepared.
- During the preparation period, try to train your mind in finding solutions for war-like situations. Only then, you will score well in Individual and group obstacle tasks.
- Military exercise rounds require you to be mentally stable, apply concepts practically and have good reasoning ability.
Teamwork and Leadership:
If a candidate actively works in a team or likes to lead a team right from the beginning (in school or college), he/she is more likely to perform well in group tasks.
- To score well in Group tasks, one needs to have good team spirit, self-confidence and great leadership quality.
- Good leadership quality will help you perform well in Individual Lecturette as well. How? Leadership is not just about leading a team, but is also about communicating with them in a clear manner in any kind of situation.
Have a Learning Attitude:
Observe things and always keep a learning attitude.
- Interact with people and have good social relations.
- Keep good company and make friends that make you better
- Befriend people who have high ambitions in life, bigger than you
- Participate in competitive activities as much as you can
- Train your brain to engage in constructive tasks instead of wasting time on trivial things
- Avoid all kinds of negativity in life